Idiyappam is also known as Noolu Puttu in Malayalam. These are string hoppers which are made of rice flour. This is a steamed dish and served as breakfast in Kerala. Traditionally in Malabar regions of Kerala, they are served with coconut milk and sugar. If you are looking for some savory side dishes then you should try with ishtew or mutta roast(egg roast).
Ishtew is basically Stew and made with a mix of vegetables in coconut milk.
- Mixed vegetables (carrots-1/4 cup , beans-1/2 cup, potato-1cup and green peas-1/4 cup)
- Ginger (finely chopped) - 1 inch
- Green chillies - 2-3
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Coconut milk: thin - 1.5 cup, thick - 1/4 cup
- Shallots - 5-6 thinly sliced
- Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- In a deep vessel, add cut vegetables, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, shallots and thin coconut milk. Add required amount of salt and cook till vegetables are well done.
- Turn off the stove and add thick coconut milk and coconut oil.
How to extract coconut milk:
- Take around 1.5 cup of freshly grated coconut. The milk we get by squeezing the grated coconut is called the thick extract.
- Add around 1 cup of warm water to the squeezed grated coconut and give it a good mix. Squeeze out the thin coconut milk through a strainer.
- Idiyappam powder/Rice flour - 1 cup
- Oil - 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Boil 1 cup water and add a teaspoon of oil and salt to taste.
- Add the rice flour little by little and stir with a wooden spatula. Mix everything well together until a soft, smooth dough is formed.
- Once the dough is cool enough to handle, knead it for couple of minutes.
- Take a portion of dough in idiyappam press. Grease idli plate or any steamer with little oil. Press the idiyappam in idli plates and steam for 5-7 minutes.
- Let them cool for couple of minutes before you remove from the idli plate.
Serve these hot idiyappam with ishtew.
I am linking this recipe for this month's "Shh Cooking Secretly" event. This month's theme is Kerala Cuisine. I am paired with Priya Mahesh who gave me rice flour and carrots as my secret ingredients. Here comes my idiyappam and stew with these secret ingredients. I gave Priya, plantain and coconut and she made vazhakka thoran. Check out her blog at200deg for a collection of delicious dishes.