1. Dates (pit removed) - 1 cup
2. Green chilli - 2-3
3. Tamarind pulp(thick) - 1 tablespoon
4. Jaggery(grated) - 1 tablespoon
5. Grated ginger - 1 teaspoon
6. Crushed garlic - 1 tablespoon
7. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
8. Curry leaves - few
9. Asafoetida powder/Hing - 1/8 teaspoon
10. Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon or as per spice level
11. Fenugreek powder - 1 pinch
12. Oil - 2 tablespoon
13. Salt to taste
1. Soak dates in warm water for 5 minutes. Drain off the water and pat dry on a paper towel. Cut them into small pieces and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
3. Add asafoetida powder, grated ginger, crushed garlic, finely chopped green chilli and curry leaves. Fry for couple of minutes.
4. Add chopped dates, chilli powder, salt to taste, grated jaggery and tamarind pulp. Mix well and cook for around 10-12 minutes on medium flame.
5. Just before turning off the flame add a pinch of fenugreek powder.
Allow it to cool completely before storing in a air tight container.