Ulli Theeyal is made of pearl onions/shallots in a tangy coconut based gravy. This is served with steamed rice.
- Pearl Onions/Shallots - 1 cup
- Coconut grated - 1 cup
- Coriander seeds - 2 tablespoon
- Whole dried red chillies - 2 or as per your spice level
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Tamarind - one gooseberry sized
- Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek Seeds - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil - 2 tablespoon
1. Dry roast coconut, coriander seeds and dried red chillies until coconut turns dark brown in colour. Switch off the flame and add turmeric powder.
2. Grind the roast coconut mixture into a fine paste by adding a tablespoon of water and set aside.
3. Soak tamarind in a cup of water. Squeeze out the pulp and set aside.
4. Heat a vessel and add tablespoon of oil. Add sliced shallots and 1 sprig of curry leaves. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
5. Add tamarind pulp, coconut paste and salt to taste to it and cover and cook for 10 mins. Turn off the flame
6. Heat a small saucepan and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Splutter mustard seeds and add fenugreek seeds and 1 sprig of curry leaves. Add this seasoning into curry.
Curry is ready to serve with hot steaming rice.
Dry roast coconut on medium flame with continuous stirring to avoid burning.