1. Chicken - small pieces - 1/2 kg
2. Onion - 1 medium
3. Ginger - 2 inch piece
4. Garlic - 6 cloves
5. Curry leaves - 2 sprig
6. Tamarind pulp - 1 teaspoon
7. Jaggery - small piece(a size of almond)
8. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
9. Yogurt - 4 tablespoon
10. Ghee - 2 tablespoon
11. Oil - 1 tablespoon
12. Salt to taste
To dry roast:
1. Kashmiri chillies - 6
2. Normal chillies - 2
3. Peppercorns - 10 nos.
4. Coriander seeds - 1 tablespoon
5. Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Fennel seeds/ saunf - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Fenugreek seeds - 10 nos.
1. Wash and clean chicken. Marinate chicken with salt, turmeric powder and yogurt. Refrigerate for atleast 2 hours.
2. Dry roast the items mentioned in the list on medium flame. Grind the spices along with ginger and garlic with a tablespoon of water into a fine paste.
3. Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a thick bottomed pan. Add the marinated chicken and mix well. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the cooked chicken from the stove and keep aside. Heat the same pan again and add a tablespoon of ghee and a tbsp of oil. Add finely chopped onion and saute till they turn translucent.
5. Add the ground spice paste and saute till oil separates. Now add the cooked chicken along with any liquid left while cooking chicken.
6. Add a teaspoon of tamarind pulp, small piece of jaggery and curry leaves. Check for seasoning and add salt if required. Cover and cook on medium flame until all the liquid evaporates.
7. Remove the lid and roast the chicken for few more minutes with continuous stirring. Garnish with curry leaves and serve.