1. Idichakka/ Tender Jackfruit - 1 small size
2. Coconut grated - 1 cup
3. Shallots - 1/2 cup
4. Garlic - 2 cloves
5. Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 teaspoon
6. Curry leaves - few
7. Green chilly - 1 or as per your spice level
8. Dried red chillies - 2
9. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
10. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
11. Salt to taste
12. Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
1. Remove the skin of Jackfruit and cut into 2 inch pieces. Wash the cut pieces and pressure cook with 1 cup water, turmeric powder and salt to taste for 2 whistles.
2. Meanwhile grind grated coconut, garlic, green chillies and cumin seeds without adding water.
3. Drain any water left in cooked Jackfruit and mash with potato masher. You can also pulse it in blender for 2-3 seconds. We don't need to grind the jackfruit instead just need to shred them.
4. Heat coconut oil in a large pan. Splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves and red chillies.
5. Add sliced shallots and fry till they turn translucent. Then add ground coconut mixture and saute for couple of minutes.
6. Finally add jackfruit and give it a good mix. Check for seasoning and add salt if required. Cover and cook on low flame for 5 more minutes.
Kerala style Idichakka thoran is ready to serve and it is best served as a side dish for rice.