Recipe Source: onceuponachef.com
9x5 Loaf pan
For the cake:
1. All purpose flour - 1.5 cup
2. Baking soda - 1/4 teaspoon
3.Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
4. Buttermilk - 1/2 cup
5. Butter unsalted at room temperature - 1/2 cup
6. Egg - 1
7. Sugar - 1 cup
8. Lemon zest grated - 2 teaspoon
9. Lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
For the syrup:
1. Sugar - 1/4 cup
2. Water - 1/4 cup
3. Lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
For the glaze:
1. Confectioners' sugar - 1/2 cup
2. Butter(unsalted) - 1 teaspoon
3. Lemon juice - 2 teaspoon
4. Water - 1 tablespoon
1. Preheat the oven to 325 deg F and grease the loaf pan with butter and sprinkle little flour over it.
2. Sift flour, salt and baking soda and keep them aside.
3. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon juice and keep it aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter using a hand mixer until light and fluffy(medium speed for 5 minutes). Add the egg and beat again.
5. Change the mixer speed to low and add 1/3 of the flour and 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture and mix well. Repeat with rest of the flour and buttermilk mixture by adding only 1/3rd of the portion each time. Do not overmix the batter lest the cake becomes dense.
6. Carefully spoon the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. While the cake is baking, make the syrup by boiling 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup sugar. After the sugar melts, turn off the stove and add a tablespoon of lemon juice.
8. Once the cake is out of oven, place it on a wire rack and pour the sugar syrup all over. Let it cool completely before we apply icing on the cake.
9. For the icing, mix together the ingredients specified in icing section and apply on top of cake.