This is a very basic avocado toast with simple ingredients. It is very easy to make on a busy morning. We just need around 5 minutes to whip up this healthy protein-rich breakfast. All you need is a ripe avocado and a couple of slices of bread. I have added chili flakes and pepper powder for spiciness in this recipe and this can be added or removed as per your spice preference. The avocado used should be just ripe and not too mushy. It is preferable to consume it immediately after preparing it. Even though lemon juice added will prevent the discoloration of avocado, I believe the taste of avocado alters with time.
- Bread slices - 2
- Avocado - 1
- Lemon juice - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chili flakes - 1/8 teaspoon
- Pepper powder -1/8 teaspoon
- Black sesame seeds - 1/8 teaspoon
- Butter - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Salt - a pinch
- Toast the bread slices with butter. This is completely optional. If you want, you can just toast it without butter.
- Take the avocado, cut it in half, and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and transfer it to a bowl.
- Mash the avocado with a fork. I like mine to be completely smooth.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper powder, chili flakes, and sesame seeds to the mashed avocado and mix well.
- Spread the avocado mix on toast and serve.
As part of the "Sshhh Cooking secretly" challenge, a theme is selected at the beginning of the month by one of the participants. All the members are grouped in pairs. The participants will exchange 2 secret ingredients with their partners who are supposed to prepare a dish that matches the theme of that month. This month's 'Protein-rich breakfast' theme is chosen by Renu. Do check out her recipe of Tofu Bhurji she made for this theme.
Priya Vijaykrishnan is my partner for this month. She gave me pepper powder and lemon juice as my ingredients and I gave her coconut and curry leaves as her secret ingredients. Priya prepared very healthy black lentil crepes. Do check out her blog for a wide variety of traditional dishes like Thiruvadhirai kali.