1. Gram flour/Besan - 1 cup
2. Rice flour - 1 tablespoon
3. Ajwain/Carom seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
4. Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
5. Asafoetida/hing - 2-3 pinches
6. Salt to taste
1. Potatoes - 3 medium sized
2. Onion - 1
3. Green chillies - 2 -4
4. Coriander leaves - chopped - 3 tablespoon
5. Curry leaves - few
6. Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
7. Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
8. Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Garam masala - 1/8 teaspoon
8. Dry mango powder/Chaat masala - 1/4 teaspoon - optional
9. Asafoetida/hing - 2-3 pinches
10. Oil - 1 tablespoon
11. Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying bonda
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Mash the boiled potatoes and keep it aside.
2. In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
3. Add asafoetida, finely chopped onion, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute until onions turn light brown in color.
4. Add turmeric powder, garam masala and dry mango powder/chaat masala.
5. Add mashed potatoes and salt to taste. Mix well and switch off flame after 5 minutes.
6. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Allow the mix to cool down. Then make lemon sized balls and keep them aside.
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients listed for making batter.
2. Add water little by little to make a thick batter.
1. Heat oil for deep frying on medium flame.
2. Dip each of the potato balls in batter and deep fry until golden brown.
3. Drain off excess oil on a tissue paper.
Serve hot with tomato ketchup.