Indori poha is a famous street food and breakfast dish of Indore, Madhya Pradesh. This poha so much different from the typical Maharashtrian version. The difference lies in the way it is prepared and served. Fennel seeds are added which gives a nice aroma and sweet flavor to the dish. Indori poha is usually topped with raw onion, pomegranate seeds, peanuts and Sev. It is also served with Jalebi.
For this month's "Shhhhh Cooking Secretly" event, we have chosen the theme of Madhya Pradesh cuisine. My partner for this month is Vidya Narayan who gave me Fennel and Peanuts as my secret ingredients and I made this poha for the event. I had given her Masoor Dal and Garlic, of which she made an authentic MP dish "Indrahar Ki Kadhi". Vidya blogs at Masala Chilli. Do browse her blog for a collection of delicious recipes.
- Poha/Flattened rice (medium thickness)- 2 cups
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Curry leaves - few
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilli - 2 or as per your spice level
- Peanuts - a handful
- Cilantro - little for garnishing
- Lemon - 1
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Wash and soak poha in water for a minute. Drain the water completely and set aside. Soaking for longer time will make the poha mushy. If you are using thick poha, then you might have to soak for around 5 minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil and saute peanuts till they are golden brown. Fish out the peanuts and set aside in a plate.
- To the same oil, splutter mustard seeds, followed by fennel seeds.
- Saute onion till they turn translucent.
- Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Give it a good mix.
- Add soaked poha, salt to taste and sugar. Mix well and cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Finally add roasted peanuts, chopped cilantro and a teaspoon of lemon juice.