Palmier is a French pastry made from puff pastry sheets. These cookies are also known as Elephant ear cookies or butterfly cookies.
1. Puff pastry sheet - 1 sheet
2. Sugar fine granulated - 1/4 cup
1. Thaw the puff pastry sheet.
2. Sprinkle little sugar on a clean working counter and place the pastry sheet on it. Use a rolling pin and roll the pastry sheet until it is 1/8 inch thick.
3. Sprinkle sugar on the surface of pastry sheet. Start rolling from two opposite sides of the pastry sheet until they meet in the center.
4. Press gently and cover this cylinder with a plastic wrap. Keep it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 degree F. Grease the baking tray with butter or line it with a parchment paper.
6. After 15 minutes, take the rolled dough from the freezer and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Place these on a baking tray. Make sure to give some space between each cookies as they are going to expand while baking.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 7 minutes. Flip the cookies and bake for another 7 minutes until both sides turn golden brown.
8. Cool them in wire rack before serving.
Note: For flavouring, you can mix cinnamon powder/vanilla powder/cardamom powder along with sugar.