1. Wheat flour - 2 cup
2. Banana - 1 medium or 3 small bananas
3. Jaggery - 1/2 cup
4. Cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
5, Salt - 1 pinch
6. Baking soda - 1 pinch
7. Oil for deep frying
1. Melt jaggery with 1 cup of water. Strain the syrup to remove any impurities and allow to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, take wheat flour, cardamom powder, salt and baking soda and mix well.
3. Peel and mash the bananas with a fork. Add the mashed banana to dry ingredients along with jaggery syrup. Combine well to form a very thick batter. It more or less should be like a sticky dough.
4. Allow the batter to ferment for 4-6 hours.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan on low-medium heat. Wet your hands by dipping in a bowl of water, take a lemon sized batter, roughly shape into rounds and drop in hot oil. Fry on low-medium heat until the outside turns dark golden color.
6. Drain excess oil in a tissue and serve with tea.
This can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days.
Check out the video of how to make kayappam in youtube.
Post a Comment