Koat Pitha is a sweet snack from Mizoram. These fritters are made using rice flour, jaggery and banana.
For the month of March, the theme for "Shhhhh Cooking Secretly" event is a cuisine from Mizoram.
Mizoram is one of the North Eastern States of India. The name is derived from "Mizo", the name of the native inhabitants, and "Ram", means land, and thus Mizoram means "The land of the Mizos".
For the event, I am paired with Pavani Gunikuntla who gave me rice flour and banana as my secret ingredients. I gave her green chilies and ginger. She blogs at "Pavanis Kitchen". Do check out her blog for a wide collection of recipes.
Recipe source: betterbutter
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Jaggery - 1/2 cup
- Banana - 1 (I used Chiquita/robusta banana)
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Oil - for deep frying
- Melt jaggery in 1/4 cup water and sieve to remove any impurities. Allow it to cool down.
- Mash the banana with a fork into a smooth paste.
- Add in rice flour, jaggery syrup and a pinch of salt to the mashed banana. Mix well and make a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop in a tablespoon of batter in hot oil. Fry on medium flame until the pitha turns golden brown in color.
- Drain the excess oil on a paper towel and serve.
A dessert after my own heart! :) I can imagine how lovely these Koat Pitha would taste, with the rice flour and jaggery. Awesome recipe!ReplyDelete
Absolutely delicious tea time treat for the entire family Anu. Loved it.ReplyDelete
So similar to our appam isnt it..i made the same desert but in an aapam kal...your version looks crispy..niceReplyDelete
This is such a comfort food. Surprising how there are so many common dishes across the length and breadth of India.ReplyDelete
A dessert with rice flour and jaggery is certainly delectable !ReplyDelete
Wow, the Koat Pitha looks so delicious ! must taste yum with the rice flour and jaggery :)ReplyDelete
Such a comfort food and you made it perfectly Anu. Bookmarked it .Rice and jaggery together always taste yummy.ReplyDelete
It was a delicious snack , I had made it already.........ReplyDelete