1. Toor dal - 1/2 cup
2. Tomato - 1 large
3. Onion - 1
4. Green chillies - 2
5. Dried red chillies - 2
6. Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
8. Asafoetida - 1/8 teaspoon
9. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
9. Oil - 1 teaspoon
10. Salt to taste
1. Wash and pressure cook dal for 5-6 whistles and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and dried red chillies and fry for a minute.
3. Add thinly sliced onion and slit green chillies and saute until onions turn light brown in color.
4. Add turmeric powder and diced tomatoes and saute until tomatoes are mushy.
5. Once tomatoes are cooked, transfer this to cooked dal. Add salt to taste and enough water to get desired consistency.
6. Turn on the heat and cook for 5 more minutes.
This easy dal curry can be served with rice or chapathi.