Puttu and kadala curry is one of the very famous breafast dishes in Kerala.
1. Black Chana/Kadala - 1 cup
2. Onion - 1
3. Garlic - 3 cloves
4. Green chilli - 1
5. Turmeric powder - 1/8 teaspoon
6. Red chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon
7. Black pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
8. Coriander powder - 2 teaspoon
9. Garam masala powder - 1/4 teaspoon
10. Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
11. Curry leaves - few
12. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
13. Oil (preferably coconut oil) - 2 tablespoon
14. Salt to taste
1. Soak black chana in water for around 8 hours or overnight.
2. Wash the soaked chana and pressure cook for upto 5 whistles on medium heat. Add a pinch of salt while pressure cooking.
3. Heat a pan and dry roast the coconut on medium heat with continuous stirring. Roast until coconut is dark brown in color. Cool the coconut and grind it into smooth paste by adding little water. Keep the coconut paste aside.
4. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan and saute thinly sliced onion, crushed garlic and slit green chilli. Saute until onions turn soft and translucent.
5. Reduce the heat to low and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and pepper powder. Fry for a minute.
6. Add cooked black chana and water left over after boiling black chana.
7. Check for salt. Allow the curry to boil for around 5 minutes.
8. Add ground coconut paste. Add little water to get the desired curry consistency. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes on medium heat.
9. Add garam masala and turn off the heat.
10. In a small pan, heat a tablespoon of oil. Splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves. Transfer this tempering to the curry.
Delicous and spicy kadala curry is ready to serve. Serve with puttu or dosa.
I found your site when i was looking for thattukada kadala curry. Kadala curry is also one of my favorite recipe, since I am also from Kerala.
Naatile, naadan kadala curryde taste vere thanneyanu. :-)
Your dish is really nice. To get a more naadan feel, after you add the cooked kadala into the onion gravy, you can slit 2 green chilies and add it on top of this mix and boil for 5-6 minutes.
Next time, you can try that..
Anyways, thanks for posting recipes. I will definetly go through all kerala dishes.
With warm regards