Kichadi is a Kerala dish made with one kind of vegetable in a yogurt based gravy. Vegetables that can be used include cucumber, mango, winter melon, okra/lady's finger and even pineapple.
Unlike kichadi, pachadi is made in a coconut-yogurt based gravy. Some of the pachadi recipes in my blog:
Kichadi and Pachadi are often served as part of Kerala Sadya.
1. Raw Mango - 1 medium
2. Yogurt - 1 cup
3. Ginger grated - 1/2 teaspoon
4. Green chillies - 1 or 2
5. Curry leaves - few
6. Fenugreek seeds - 1/8 teaspoon
7. Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
8. Dried red chillies - 2
9. Oil - 1 teaspoon
10. Salt to taste
1. Wash and cut mango into small pieces.
2. Take a saucepan and add cut mangoes, grated ginger, slit green chillies, salt to taste and 1 cup of water. Cook until mangoes are soft and well cooked.
4. Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dried red chillies, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds. Add this seasoning to cooked mango mixture and mango kichadi is ready to serve.
Linking this recipe to "Shh Cooking Secretly Challenge", a monthly event started by Priya and now being managed by Mayuri.
The theme for the month of May is Mango along with 2 ingredients. I am paired with Rafeeda of The Big Sweet Tooth who gave me Yogurt and ginger as secret ingredients and I decided to make this mango kichadi.