Vellirikka is referred to as golden cucumber in English. Using vellirikka, we can make different kinds of Kerala dishes like mooru curry, pachadi etc and it can be also added to avial and sambar.
1. Vellirikka/Golden Cucumber- 1 small sized
2. Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
3. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
4. Green chilli - 1
5. Dried red chilli - 1
6. Curry leaves - few
7. Yogurt/Curd - 1/2 cup
8. Oil - 1 teaspoon
9. Salt to taste
1, Wash the cucumber, remove skin and seeds and cut into small pieces.
2. Add around 1/4 cup of water to cucumber and cook it along with slit green chilli and salt. Cook until cucumber becomes soft. Turn off the heat, transfer into serving bowl and allow it cool.
3. Grind coconut into a fine paste. Roughly crush 3/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds. Add this coconut paste, crushed mustard and yogurt to cucumber and mix thoroughly.
4. For seasoning, heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dried red chilli and curry leaves. Transfer this seasoning to cucumber and serve.