I have joined a fun cooking event called "Shhh Cooking Secretly Challenge" organized by Priya Suresh of "Priya's Versatile Recipes". Every month Priya will pick a pair of members who have to mutually exchange 2 ingredients between themselves and we need to cook a dish with these secret ingredients. This secret ingredient dish needs to be revealed on 16th-18th of that month.
This month I am paired with Nayana who gave me carrot and peanut as 2 secret ingredients. I decided to prepare Carrot-Peanut Chutney and believe me this tastes real good with all the richness of peanuts and carrots.
1. Carrot- 2 medium sized
2. Peanuts - 1/2 cup
3. Dried Red Chillies - 2 or as per taste
4. Garlic - 3-4 cloves
5. Tamarind pulp thick - 1 tablespoon
6. Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Curry leaves - few
8. Oil - 2 teaspoon
9. Salt to taste
1. Grate the carrots and keep it aside.
2. For dry roasting the peanuts, heat a pan and add peanuts. Keep the flame on medium and stir continuously. Roast until the skin of peanuts start to turn dark brown. I like to remove the skin of roasted peanuts. For this, you need to let the peanuts cool and then rub them against your palm. Once done, keep the peanuts aside.
3. In the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil and add dried red chillies and crushed garlic. Fry for few seconds.
4. Add grated carrots and fry for 5-7 minutes until the raw smell of carrot goes away. Turn off the flame and let it cool for sometime.
5. Add fried carrots, garlic, red chillies, roasted peanuts, tamarind pulp and 1/2 cup water in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
6. Adjust the water level to get the desired consistency. Add salt to taste and transfer into serving dish.
7. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves. Add this tempering to chutney.
Serve this carrot peanut chutney for dosa/idli.