This year's Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated on August 17th and I have decided to make this coconut based sweet dish. It is Coconut Ladoo using Ricotta Cheese.
Ricotta Cheese is made from whey of milk. It has a very similar texture as that of khoa, but khoa and ricotta cheese are not the same. Khoa is made from whole milk and lower in moisture content.
Ricotta Cheese acts as a good binding agent and adds a very good flavor to this coconut ladoo.
Servings: Makes 8 medium sized ladoo
1. Grated coconut(fresh/frozen) - 1 cup
2. Ricotta cheese - 1/2 cup
3. Sugar - 1/4 cup
4. Cardamom powder - 1/4 teaspoon
5. Raisins - few(8-10 count)
1. Heat a wide non-stick pan on medium flame.
2. Add in ricotta cheese and sugar. Stir continuously until all the moisture evaporates and this takes around 15 minutes.
3. Then add in grated coconut and mix well. Reduce the flame to low-medium and stir continuously to remove all the water content from coconut.
4. Turn off the flame and add cardamom powder. Let it cool to room temperature.
5. Make small balls and stick a raisin in each of the ladoo.
These ladoo needs to be refrigerated if you are not consuming immediately.