This protein rich one pot meal is a rice preparation with 3 legumes - chickpeas, red beans and black eyed beans. A dash of few whole spices makes this dish very flavorful. This dish is greatly appreciated by my DH and I wish to do this more often.
Serves - 2
1. Rice ( I used white Sona Masoori) - 1 cup
2. Chickpea/Kabuli Chana - 1/4 cup
3. Red beans/Rajma - 1/4 cup
4. Black eyed beans - 1/4 cup
5. Onion - 1
6. Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Fennel seeds/perinjeerakam - 1/4 teaspoon
8. Cloves - 4-6
9. Cardamom - 2
10. Bay leaves - 2-3
11. Oil - 1 tablespoon
12. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
13. Green chilli - 1 or as per taste
14. Salt to taste.
1. Soak chickpea, red beans and black eyed beans for 8-10 hours.
2. Wash the legumes and pressure cook with 1/2 teaspoon salt on medium heat for 15 minutes. Don't discard the water left over after boiling the legumes. The color of water will be dark brown and may not be appealing but this gives a very good flavour to rice.
3. Heat oil in a large vessel and add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Fry for a minute.
4. Add cloves, bay leaves and cardamom. Fry for couple of minutes until you get the aroma of spices.
5. Then add finely chopped onion, turmeric powder and slit green chillies and fry till onions are translucent.
6. Add washed rice and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add enough water to cook the rice. Sona masoori rice needs 2 cups water for cooking. Use the water left out after boiling legumes and make up-to 2 cups with filter water.
7. It takes around 20 minutes to cook rice.
Enjoy this delicious protein rich meal with a cup of yogurt and salad.