1. Black Eyed Peas - 1/2 cup
2. Onion - 1 medium size
3. Tomato - 1 medium size
4. Green Chilli - 1
5. Asafoetida/Hing - 1 pinch
6. Cumin seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
7. Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
8. Red Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
8. Garam Masala powder - 1/4 teaspoon
9. Oil - 1 tablespoon
10. Salt to taste
1. Soak black eyed peas in water for 8-10 hours.
2. Wash and pressure cook with 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 15-20 minutes on medium flame.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. After cumin seeds changes cover, add finely sliced onion and saute until light brown in color.
4. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder and fry for a minute.
5. Add slit green chilli and diced tomatoes and cook until tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Add the cooked peas and add more water to get the desired consistency. Check for salt.
7. Sprinkle garam masala powder and cook it covered for five more minutes on medium flame.
Serve with chapathi or rice.