1. Bottle gourd/Lauki - 1 cup grated
2. Onion - 1 medium sized
3. Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1/2 teaspoon
4.Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
5. Red Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Ginger - 1/4 teaspoon grated
7. Asafoetida - 2-3 pinch
8. Oil - 1 tablespoon
9. Ghee - 1/2 teaspoon
10. Salt to taste
1. Grate the bottle gourd after removing the seeds. I usually use the skin of bottle gourd as well.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. After a minute add grated ginger and finely chopped onion.
3. When the onions start to turn brown, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
4. Saute for a minute and add grated bottle gourd. Stir occasionally and cook for 10-12 minutes on medium flame.
5. Turn off the heat and add ghee. Mix well.
Serve as a side dish for rice or chapathi.