I am so excited to announce that this is my 100th post.
Mango Pickle or Manga Achaar, as it is known in Kerala is a mouth watering pickle. The sourness of mango, spiciness of chilli powder and the smell of vinegar gives this dish an unique flavor and make you eat this pickle for every meal, be it with rice, dosa, idli or chapathi.
1. Raw Mango - 1 large sized (around 1 and 1/2 cup finely chopped)
2. Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
3. Red chilli powder - 1 1/2 tablespoon
4. Fenugreek powder - 1 pinch
5. Asafoetida - 1/8 teaspoon
6. Vinegar - 2 tablespoon
7. Salt - 1 teaspoon or as per taste
8. Oil (preferably gingelly/sesame oil) - 2 tablespoon
1. Wash and cut mango into very fine pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
3. Reduce the flame to low and then add asafoetida, fenugreek powder, red chilli powder and salt.
4. Turn off the flame immediately and add the cut mango pieces.
5. Add vinegar and allow the pickle to cool completely. Store in a air tight glass container.
This mango pickle tastes best when eaten after 5-7 days once all the flavor blends together.